Sunday, January 6, 2013

An Interview With the Accomplished Kitty Bergeron


                                                                    


Author Kitty Bergeron is a member of the South Jersey Writers' Group and a very talented young lady. So let me not keep you waiting and jump right into this interview with our youngest member. Kitty wrote the story Phone Call.



Tell us a little about yourself.

Well, I am a writer. I find writing today to be exceptionally bland and terribly-done, and the literary industry all about dogmatic rules and guidelines. Basically, I am the naysayer who hates everything. Except ice cream. That is some good stuff.


What got you interested in writing and when did you start?

In sixth grade, I became incredibly lonely and depressed. And I always had this story playing in my head when I was daydreaming or couldn’t sleep. So, after I wrote that story down, new ideas began to flourish, and I haven’t stopped since.

What type of stories do you enjoy writing?

I like to write stories that make people think. I like to make people uncomfortable, and I like to nurture those who never felt like the belonged, no matter how many times they that claimed they loved those who weren’t afraid to be different; the freaks among freaks. That is what has coined me the nickname ‘the Lady Gaga of literature’ from friends.

Where do you get your inspiration for your stories?

I am a very visual person, so any time of photography, fashion, or movies. However, I am also a music junkie. And oddly, I get the least inspiration from books, as now when reading, I’m always criticizing the writing. I used to critique as I read, but ever since I started writing, it’s gotten so much worse. I am the BS detector; I will always find your mistakes and make sure you know about them.


Why did you pick this particular story for our anthology?

 I picked it out because it was the least ‘explicit’ story I had.

What advice can you give to our readers who are interested in writing and getting their book published?

Well, as I haven’t had any books published yet, I don’t think I should be giving out advice just yet! However, for writing—always strive for improvement. Find people whom you trust and respect to look and critique your work. Don’t get caught up in pleasing the popular kids in the literary industry. Just be yourself, and don’t let anyone ever try to conform you into being someone more ‘mainstream.’ The only thing being safe has brought into the world is blandness and censorship.

Is it important for new writers to join a writer's group and why?

It really depends on the writer and what stage they are in with their writing. If they’re not isn’t very confident in what they’re doing, I think having the support of a writing group, whether it be online or in-person, is very helpful.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Kitty-Bergeron/132210126866818?ref=hl
 

3 comments:

  1. Aah, my first interview ever. Though 'any time of' should be 'any type oh', haha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't forget to let folks know where to buy this fabulous anthology!

    http://south-jersey-writers.blogspot.com/p/blog-page.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for telling it like it is, Kitty. Keep it up. Neat interview.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment!