Sunday, January 13, 2013

Interview with the fabulous Jennifer M. Eaton


 
 
 
                                                                                 
 
              Author Jennifer M. Eaton is a member of the South Jersey Writers’ Group and besides being part of the Tall Tales and Short Stories from South Jersey Anthology, she also has other works published. Why don't I let her tell you herself. Presenting Jennifer M. Eaton

 Story: Hold on 'Til the End

Tell us a little about yourself?

I’ve lived in the Garden State since I was about a week old. I transplanted from North Jersey when I was ten, to the Central Jersey Shore until I was in my early twenties, and now I hobble around in parts unknown. I love all sorts of out-doorsy things, like hiking, bicycling, and snorkeling. I’ve never met a fish I didn’t like. In fact, I have gills and a tail, but I try to hide it in specially made jeans. Don’t tell anyone, okay?

 

What got you interested in writing and when did you start?

I started writing in High School. I’ve always had an over-active imagination…you know, daydreaming and all. One day, I decided to start writing those daydreams down. I ended writing one chapter a night and having my friends read it every day of school. I loved how excited they were to get new chapters. I was hooked, and it helped me forget that I was the only kid in school with fins.

 

What type of stories do you enjoy writing?

Writing is an adventure for me. I like writing things that are far removed from anything I would call reality. Call it escapism. It’s my version of fun. I enjoy creating new worlds from scratch, so if I am on earth, it is usually dystopian. Otherwise, we travel off to far away planets where the sky’s the limit. Ahhh great fun. And I get to create people with fins there, so I don’t feel like such an outcast.

 

Where did you get your inspiration for your stories?

Ummmm.  Dementia? I honestly don’t know. Freaky things pop into my head, and I spit them out onto the paper. Go with the flow, you know what I mean?

 

Why did you pick this particular story for our anthology?

Most of my stuff is very long and not suitable to an anthology. I like creating big, epic worlds that take high-page count to create. As a writing exercise, I frequently write five minute flash fiction. Once in a while I shoot out something that surprises me. “Hold on Til the End” was one of those little surprises. It’s more of a poem than a story (at least from my perspective). I always go back and look at it, and such a wonderful image comes to mind. I was happy there was somewhere that I could show off this little gem.

What advice can you give to our readers who are interested in writing and getting their book published?

Work and work hard. Figure out what you don’t know, or what you do poorly and make friends who are good at it. Don’t be afraid to admit that you stink, but once you do, dive in with all your heart to make yourself better. It is great and sometimes easy to come up with the perfect idea, but the craft of expressing that idea in a way to captivate someone else is an art form. It talks time and effort…and most of all, dedication and belief in yourself. You need to believe that you can overcome any obstacle…even having finsJ

 

Is it important for new writers to join a writer’s group and why?

Yeah, I think it is. For me, it was great to get out there and meet others…partially to convince myself that I wasn’t a freak, because there are no creative people in my life. Normally introverted, it helped me to build some confidence, and helped me to learn about opportunities to meet published authors. South Jersey Writer’s Group was my stepping stone to “getting out there”. Honestly, I was terrified when I walked into my first session…but I loved it and they accepted me, despite of my gills and quirky sense of humor.

Jennifer lives on the East Coast USA with her husband, three boys, and a pepped up poodle. She hosts an interactive website www.jennifermeaton.com aimed at making all writers the best they can be.

Her Dystopian novelette “Last Winter Red” is available as part of the “Make Believe” Anthology from J. Taylor Publishing. Her Christmas Romance “Connect the Dots” is available as part of Still Moments publishing’s “For the Love of Christmas” Anthology. Both are available in ebook format from Amazon.com and BarnesandNoble.com

Last Winter Red: In search of a husband, Emily leaves the safety of the city and risks her life stepping into the outside world. What she finds there will question the foundation of everything she believes in.

Connect the Dots: Jill has no idea what she wants for Christmas, but when it looks like her best friend Jack is going to get exactly what he asks for, Jill makes a Christmas wish that will change both of their lives forever.

Hold on Til the End: is a poetic short story with a symbolic depiction of one holding on to the past during the inevitable change of future.

Twitter @jennifermeaton


No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment!