Sunday, December 30, 2012

The Amazing Amy Hollinger

                                                                   
Author and Editor Amy Hollinger is a member of the South Jersey Writers Group and the person responsible for getting the anthology project started. She worked very hard on getting this book done and if you look closely at the picture, you can even see the gray hair that I gave her. Without keeping you waiting, let me introduce to you Amy Hollinger, Editor, Publisher and author. She has a story featured in the anthology

 Story: Hole in the Sky

Tell us a little about yourself?

I'm an outdoor enthusiast who always liked to tell stories. I run an outdoor adventure group, and like playing around with film and photography. Professionally, I'm an insurance agent with a specialization in Medicare plans. I play soccer and love to travel; planning to run a race in every state!


What got you interested in writing and when did you start?

My mom says I've been making stuff up since I could talk. She still has some of the stories I wrote in elementary school. I never really knew how to go about it until I discovered NaNoWriMo in 2004. Write a novel in a month? Sure why not. It didn't work out but I stuck with it ever since, and for the most part it's gotten much easier. This is the first time I've been published.


What type of stories do you enjoy writing?

Everything I write turns in to young adult fiction. Just kind of happens that way!

Where do you get your inspiration for your stories?

I honestly can't say for sure! I like to think about fairly common objects with unusual uses; what if a mirror was a portal for time travel? (And that is the premise for something I'm working on now!)

Why did you pick this particular story for our anthology?

I started it as a blog post several years ago, never finished (which is pretty much the status of everything I've ever written.) When I decided to take on the task of editing an anthology, it seemed the thing nearest to completion, so I worked a little bit on turning it more into a story. Hopefully it worked.


What advice can you give to our readers who are interested in writing and getting their book published?

Network, network, network. Keep on the lookout for every opportunity and be ready for them when they arise! If you really want to be published, you have to know what is happening in the industry.
Is it important for new writers to join a writer's group and why?

Of course! There is so much to learn from other writers, even if they're just casual journalers. Reading the writings of people you know is a fascinating learning experience. I've learned so much from so many people in our group!

It was a pleasure to interview you, Amy and I hope our dear readers enjoy the post.

Amy's Blogs:






Also on Google+, Facebook, and LinkedIn!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment!